How do I convert Word 2007 docs to Word 2010 docs?
I bought and installed Word 2010 last night, but now cannot open any of my Word 2007 Word documents. I have been successful going through the process recommended on Microsoft's website that says:
1. Click the FILE tab.
2. Do one of the following:
*To convert the document without saving a copy, click INFO, and then click CONVERT
*To convert a new copy of the document in Word 2010 mode, click SAVE AS, type a new name for the document in the FILE NAME box, and click WORD DOCUMENT in the SAVE AS TYPE list.
When I do either of these and save the document, it doesn't save it to Word 2010 format. And, please don't tell me I have to do this process for every Word 2007 document!!!! Microsoft isn't that user unfriendly minded are they?
Isn't there a setting or something that will allow Word 2007 documents to automatically be converted to a Word 2010 document when I open them?
Just a few quick questions and we'll do our best to get your on your way.
1. What Operating system are you using? i.e. XP, 2000, Vista, Windows 7
2. Are you receiving any errors when you open a word 2007 file or does it just not open at all. If you could be a bit more descriptive here that would help!
3. Have you tried to open the Word 2007 file from Word 2010 i.e. File, Open - document? What happens?
4. What exactly happens when you double click on a Word 2010 file when Word is closed?
5. Are you Word 2007 files being stored on a remote network or other network?
If you can get this back to me i can provide some quick suggestions. It could be as easy as the compatibility pack or updating the XML settings within the program. Depending on your OS will depend on the best way to move forward as effeciently as possible.
Let us know.
the MSOF team
Thanks for your prompt response. Here are the answers to your questions:
2. It doesn't ope at all. I get this prompt: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."
3. Yes, I was successful at opening it that way. But, then once I save it I still get the prompt (see #2 above) next time I try to open it.
4. I get the same prompt as when I try to open a 2007 file.
Go to the file and right click on the file and go to Open With - Choose default program - make sure the checkbox is enabled for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Choose Microsoft Word from the Recommended program. If word is not there, go to browse Program Files - Microsoft Office - Office 14 - Word.
This should resolve your issue with program association.
let us know.
A few more questions:
1. It seems like you're able to open the document but not able to save it as a Word 2010 format? I gather this from the second to last sentence that you're able to open it but unable to save it as a Word 2010 format.
2. When you open a document and go to save it there is an option to covert the doc as well. See video below.
3. When you convert a doc and using Windows 7, File Explorer will still list the doc as a 2007 doc even through it has been converted.
4. The file format docx is the primary format. You can double check this by going to file - options - save - and you'll see a drop down. I've included a screen shot for you.
Re: "Go to the file and right click on the file and go to Open With - Choose default program - make sure the checkbox is enabled for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Choose Microsoft Word from the Recommended program. If word is not there, go to browse Program Files - Microsoft Office - Office 14 - Word."
Once I open the Office 14 folder, the only option I have there is OneNote. There is no Word option in the Office 14 folder.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
You should see several hundred files and folders here. Scroll down all the way to near the bottom and look for "Winword". Winword is the same was Word.
Be sure to go to into the Program Files - Microsoft Office folder and not Program files - Microsoft.
No, there is only the OneNote folder and the following folders where you say there should be hundreds. It may be that not everything downloaded when I downloaded the program? Maybe re-download again?
That is odd. I hate to give yin a standard offshore answer but a reinstall or detect and repaid may be in order.
I would download again. Perform a system restore of the system to before the 2010 install. Uninstall 07 reboot machine and install 2010.
Be sure to use the default settings for the install.
The fact thatbthere is nothing in your office 14 folder but one one note folder does raise suspicion. I've seen a few hundred installs of 2010 so far and they've been flawless so I'm surprised of a corrupt install but don't rule it out.
You could also do a system search and search for win word.exe and see where the location of this file is? I'm assuming you're not havingnthis problem with other files, ie excel, PowerPoint etc?
Addi, although there are still not several hundred files and folders under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14, I have downloaded the program again and Word 2007 documents are now automatically opening in 2010. I guess the problem is solved. Thanks for everyone's help and the education.
This issue occur with all the Office components, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and others? Also, does this issue occur with all the Office 2007 documents, or only some of them?
First, please check if the settings are checked in Word 2010:
1. Click File > Options > Trust Center, click the Trust Center settings button.
2. Click File Block Settings. Then make sure the checkboxes for the following items are not checked:
Â· Word 2007 and later Documents and Templates
Â· Word 2007 and later Binary Documents and Templates
Â· Word 2003 Binary Documents and Templates
Â· Word 2003 and Plain XML Documents
3. Click OK to save the settings.
Similar steps to check in Excel 2010 and other components.